Harness it: Four inspirational ideas for your next outfit

When it comes to choosing a pole costume, nothing looks more bad-ass than a strappy harness. Flattering for all heights and body sizes, the seemingly simple harness draws attention to the thighs and butt cheeks, while being suggestive of foreplay / S&M / B&D. No wonder that the harness is the number one costume feature in exotic pole comps!

To inspire your next outfit and offer suggestions on how you can go about harnessing up, I'm sharing a selection of my favourite pics. I also follow 'harness hotties' on Instagram such as msmucci (Prince of the Glittery Thong Harness) and miss_arizona (Queen of the Harness and Scorching Sex Goddess).

Here's how you can go about achieving the same look!

Sew them in

Backstage at Sky Sirens' 'Heartstoppers' showcase.

I honestly think lace and harnesses are a match made in heaven! For this outfit, I bought the bodysuit from Bras n' Things, a really amazing store that has the most beautiful and well-made bodysuits at very affordable prices.  I bought beautiful stretch lace from Lincraft and sparkly black elastic from Greenfields in Surry Hills, and asked a student to help me measure the harness length around the back, then she added stickers on the bodysuit to mark the placements where the harness needed to be stitched in. It is a bit fiddly the first time, but oh - the result is totally worth it!

Image credit: Pole Athletica's in-house comp; this was from my guest-judge show.

In this pic below, I actually made the entire costume from scratch, and again asked a friend to help me measure and pin the harness.

Image credit: Pole Athletica's student and instructor showcase.

Get it custom made

Backstage at Ana Seethe's Expose - Burlesque and Variety Night.

Getting a costume custom made can be $$$, but if you have the budget for it, it's totally worth it! It feels really special when you get something well made that makes you feel beautiful and expensive. The trick is knowing in advance what kind of outfit you want and how much each element will cost; blinging things up will add to the cost simply because it is so time-consuming! But if you are handy at gluing things, you may want to give it a go yourself.

For this costume, I asked the amazing and incredibly talented Georgia Moon to make this costume for me. It was for a Christmas show, so I wanted it in true red with a nice bling finish.

Image credit: Leslie Liu at Love Pole's 'Podium Goddess' comp.

Choose a pre-made outfit

My follow instructor, Sofiya Golota, and I modelling the Tough Cookie Apparel range at Pole Athletica.
Our team mascot, Tinky, decided to model with us as well!

Many polewear brands are now trending a harness element in their outfits. My favourite one which I have personally modelled for and would recommend is Tough Cookie Apparel. Their pole clothing is very functional and comfortable while having a wonderful strappy aesthetic.

If you want something more colourful and epic, check out the range from Lovechild Boudoir. Just stunning!


Lovechild Boudoir have a stunning range of harnesses, which they call 'Bodycages'.
Image source: Facebook.


Use a slip-on harness

Image credit: Etienne Reynaud at Sky Sirens' 'Glory Box' showcase.

You can buy a separate harness which you can slip over your outfit. I prefer non-leather brands simply because to me it is more ethical, so I'm going to recommend the one I got from Hello Gypsy Life. Despite its seemingly simple style, it actually holds up pretty well when dancing, and I have worn it for a professional showcase. I teemed it with a halter harness which I got from the Shimmy & Sparkle range.


Here I'm wearing Hello Gypsy Life Bondage Lingerie with Garter
and Shimmy & Sparkle Halter Bralette under a Georgia Moon costume.


Overall tips...

  • Ideally a harness should feel secure around your thigh but not too tight that the skin is pinching. Remember you'll be moving around a lot so it's OK to have a bit of 'give' in the elastic.
  • Choose a very good quality elastic that will withstand friction. Greenfield's and Lincraft have an excellent range at affordable prices.
  • Other good places to shop online for stretch materials include Booby Traps and Shine Trimmings and Fabrics.
  • Remember, asking a costume maker to bling your outfit can be $$$, but worth it if you're unsure of how to do it.
  • The length and placement of the straps is up to you and depends on what you want to show off; I generally prefer about 17-18cm round the front and just off-centre behind the thigh, but you can also experiment with geometric shapes.
  • Have fun with your harness and don't be afraid to show off and be totally bad-ass!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The teachers who helped me nail my nemesis tricks